Saint Mary's Press, in collaboration with The National Black Catholic Congress, Inc., is proud to present The African American Catholic Youth Bible®, the first Catholic Bible for youth designed especially from the African American perspective. This Bible speaks directly to African American youth through inspirational black art and commentaries on biblical events and personalities from an African American perspective. It chronicles major events in African American Catholic history and includes moving stories of African American holy men and women.
The African American Catholic Youth Bible® uses the text of the New American Bible, revised edition, and is modeled after the bestselling Catholic Youth Bible®, beloved by nearly two million Catholic young people.
This Bible offers many special features:
- Know Your Faith articles that explain the biblical, liturgical, and doctrinal basis for many Christian beliefs and practices
- Black, Catholic, and Faithful articles that present African American culture and introduce some Africans and African Americans who have lived out aspects of God's Revelation in the Bible
- Check This Out articles that provide background for understanding the culture and traditions of biblical times and the Church's interpretation of certain passages
- Be About It! articles that apply the Bible's message to situations African American youth may be facing now or will face in the future
- Take It to God articles that suggest ways to use the Bible for personal prayer
- Our Friends in Faith articles that give a quick introduction to the lives of important biblical people
Helpful indexes to passages about events, people, teachings of Jesus, and life and faith issues, as well as an index that leads to articles on specific topics. A calendar of the Church year and Sunday readings. Color inserts that provide a brief history of African American Catholics, beautifully illustrated maps, photos by theme, Catholic prayers and teachings, and a timeline of biblical history
A glossary of Scripture-related terms